Springs Window Fashions LP
Window Treatment Horizontal
Bali Classics™ Mini Blinds
PART 1– GENERAL
A. Related Requirements
1.02 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Job Mock-Up: (Describe)
A. Manufacturer's Product Data: Submit manufacturer's descriptive product data and installation instructions for each type of blind specified.
B. Shop Drawings: Submit shop drawings indicating the following:
C. Color Sample: Submit two 6-inch (0.15m) samples of material indicating full color range and color variation.
D. Product Sample: Submit one 16-inch wide by 24-inch long fully functional sample blind.
E. Maintenance Material (Extra Stock): (Describe)
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
2.01 HORIZONTAL BLINDS
A. Manufacturer and Product:
B. Product Description:
1. Steel Channel Headrail: "U"-shaped 1-inch high by 1-11/42-inch deep channel, fabricated from 0.024-inch thick (before coating) phosphate treated steel with rolled edges at top with a prime coat of vinyl primer and finished coat of polyester baked enamel to match bottomrail and end support brackets and to coordinate with slats. Headrail shall be roll-formed after coating.
2. Head Channel Hardware: Hardware shall be acetal low friction thermoplastic and guide lift cords and ladders in the head channel preventing wear and discoloration. Operating hardware shall be mechanically locked into head channel, by means of snap-in fittings with no mechanical cleats visible from underside of headrail.
3. Enclosed Metal Bottomrail: Completely enclosed tubular shape, 0.024-inch thick (before coating) phosphate treated steel with prime coat of vinyl primer and finished coat of polyester baked enamel matching headrail and coordinating with slat color. Bottomrail shall be roll-formed after coating with locking groove to receive dust cover. Thermoplastic protective caps in bottom of rail shall be used to secure ladder ends and assure window sill protection. Hold-down bracket pins shall be available.
4. Slats: Slats shall be aluminum alloyed for maximum strength, flexibility and resistance to corrosion. Slats shall be nominally 1-inch wide, actual 0.991-inch (plus .004-inch or minus .000-inch). Standard thickness is 0.006" optional, 0.008" is available. Slats shall have a pre-coating treatment to bond the polyester baked enamel finish coat that features our Advanced Finishing Technology (AFT) which provides a smoother, harder, less porous surface that provides anti-static performance to help repel dust and anti-microbial qualities to help resist fungal and bacterial growth.
The end clearance of each slat shall not exceed 11/44-inch from each side of the window opening for jamb installation. For face installation, slats shall overlap jamb by 1-11/42 inches maximum at each end where possible. Slat thickness and ladder support distances shall be such that there is no visible sag.
5. Tilt Rod Support: Tilt rod support shall be acetal low friction thermoplastic and shall support tilt rod. It shall provide a smooth bearing and center the ladder drum over ladder hole. Incorporated with tilt rod support shall be a grommet guide to guide lift cord and braided ladder through bottom of headrail. Acetal grommet shall have beveled edges to prevent cord and braided ladder wear and discoloration.
6. Ladder Drum: Shall be injection molded thermoplastic with smooth hole edges to position ladder. Ladders will be securely attached by means of a snap down top, eliminating the need for braided ladder clips.
7. Cord Lock: Cord lock shall be of a snap-in design and incorporate a stainless steel wear guard over which cords pass and a floating shaft-type locking pin. Locking pin shall be free of abrasive teeth and offer minimum wear to cord. Cord lock shall incorporate a "crash-proof" safety feature that shall lock blind automatically upon release of cord. End of lift cords shall be treated with plastic tassels.
a. Cord Guide: Cord guide shall be nickel plated steel and will guide and center lift cords into cord lock opening.
b. Ring Pull: When supplied with a standard nominal 4" cord length, a single ring will be attached to 2 and 4 cord blinds. Non-standard lengths of 8" or greater will have a joiner ball located nominally 4" from the headrail and will have two separate cords coming down from the joiner ball, each with a separate ring, to the specified non-standard length.
c. Top-Locking Cord Lock: An optional top-locking cord lock shall be available which provides for locking the blind in the fully raised position only with no intermediate locking positions other than fully lowered. The crash-proof feature is not available with a top-locking cord lock.
8. Shaft Type Tilter: The tilter shall be of a worm and gear arrangement in a totally enclosed gear case (housing). The worm (tilter shaft) shall be of clear polycarbonate, the gear of nylon and the gear housing of acetal thermoplastic. The tilter shall be designed for smooth low friction operation and shall incorporate a clutch mechanism to eliminate damage due to over tilting. Tilter shall be a snap-in component allowing for field removal if required.
a. Tilt Wand: The tilt wand shall be a clear polycarbonate hollow rod, with a hexagonal shape measuring approximately 1/4-inch across the points, providing a positive, comfortable grip. The wand shall hang vertically by its own weight and should be of sufficient length for easy access and operation. Wand shall be attached to the tilter shaft by means of a spring clip and shall be easilly detached and reattached in the field.
b. Tilt Ring: An optional tilt ring shall be attached to the tilter shaft in lieu of a wand via the tilter shaft link with field provision of a pole-hook for operation.
c. Tilt Limiter: An optional single-range tilt limiter shall allow a select range of slat tilting operation including a fixed angle if so specified.
9. Cord Type Tilter: The tilter shall be a direct drive system. The direct drive system will utilize a hex tilt rod ladder drum in place of the shaft type tilter with tilt cords attached to the ladder drum by means of braided ladder clips. The tilt cords shall be equipped with plastic tassels. The tilter shall be designed for smooth operation and shall hold the slats at any angle.
10. Hexagonal Tilt Rod: Tilt rod shall be electro-zinc coated solid steel. Tilt rod shall be hexagonal in cross-section measuring 11/44-inch at its widest points. Tilt rod shall limit torsional deflection to 6 degrees in a 30-inch test length with a torque application of one-foot pound.
11. Braided Ladders (Slat Supports): Bali Classics shall have braided ladder which will assure proper control with adequate overlap of slats in the closed position. Distance between end ladder and end of slats will not exceed 6 inches; distance between braided ladders shall not exceed 23 inches.
a. Braided Ladder Material: Material shall be 100% high tenacity polyester yarn. Vertical component shall be not less than 0.045-inch diameter nor greater than 0.066-inch diameter, and shall provide maximum strength and flexibility with minimum stretch. Horizontal component, or rungs, shall be not less than two threads and shall be approximately 31.0mm long. Ladders shall be of sufficient length for bottom of blind to hang with a tolerance of plus one-half/minus zero inches of the specified length. Standard ladder will provide 21.5mm of distance between the slats. Optional 20mm and 22.5mm spacing is available. Ladders shall be dyed to Bali color standard.
12. Lift Cords: Lift cords shall be braided with polyester jacket and center core or an approved equal construction. Size of cord shall be 1.4mm. Cords shall be detachable, if required, and shall be of sufficient length to properly control the raising or lowering of the blind. Lift cords shall be equipped with plastic tassels, or optional ring pull with a 4-inch cord. Cord ends shall be securely anchored to the bottomrail and it shall be possible to detach and attach cords. Cording arrangements shall comply with assembly standards set for the size and weight of the blind. Cords shall be dyed to color standard.
13. Cord Lock and Tilter Operation Locations:
a. Bali Classics shall be made with the following cord lock and tilter location options when viewed from within the room:
- Tilter at left, cord lock at right (standard).
- Cord lock at left, tilter at right (reverse).
- Tilter and cord lock at left (both left).
- Tilter and cord lock at right (both right).
b. On blinds less than 13-7/8 inches wide, only options 1 and 2 above apply.
14. End Support Brackets: Standard hinged cover end support brackets of phosphate treated steel with prime coat of vinyl primer and finished coat of polyester baked enamel in color to match headrail. Brackets shall be marked left and right to facilitate installation and shall have 11/44-inch extra wide top to accommodate power screwdriver. Brackets shall facilitate easy removal of head channel. Optional headrail reveal brackets for recessed pocket installation shall be electroplated. Optional turn clip pivot brackets shall be provided for mounting headrail of blind within extruded aluminum blind pockets.
15. Intermediate Support Brackets: Brackets shall be furnished for blinds over 60 inches wide. Maximum spacing for intermediate support brackets shall be 48 inches.
16. Extension Brackets: Optional extension brackets are available.
17. Hold-Down Brackets: Optional universal hold-down brackets for sill or jamb installations are available.
18. End Stiffeners:
a. To add rigidity to the headrail, electroplated steel end stiffeners shall be inserted at each end of the headrail.
b. To eliminate lateral movement and to center the blind in the window, each end stiffener shall have a lateral adjustment tab.
19. Accent Channels: Optional side channels and bottom channels are available in any solid slat color, except Aluminum Texture and Brushed Aluminum.
20. General: The blind shall be free of sharp edges, burrs or other defects which might be harmful. When other materials result in improved specifications, they may be adopted.
21. Size Limitations:
a. Standard widths: 12-143-31/44 inches (single blind on one headrail). Blinds up to 192 inches are available as two blinds on one headrail. Narrow blinds between 5-11/42" and 11-71/48" available with engineering approval and normal limitations on performance and control locations.
b. Maximum drop: For blinds 12-35" wide, the standard drop is 126". For blinds wider then 35", the standard drop is 150". Longer drops up to 240" available with engineering approval and normal performance limitations.
22. Color: Color of headrail, bottomrail, ladder, cord and plastic accessories shall coordinate with slats.
A. Prior to fabrication, verify actual opening dimensions by on-site measurement. Calculate blind dimensions to fit within specified tolerances.
B. Fabricate blinds to fill openings from head to sill and jamb to jamb. The minimum clearance blind-to-blind shall be 11/44-inch. Locate blind divisions at mullions.
C. Fabricate blinds to fill all exterior window openings except at doors, door sidelights and transoms unless noted.
PART 3 – EXECUTION
3.01 INSPECTION: Verify that the work area in which the blinds will be installed is free of conditions that interfere with blind installations and operations. Begin blind installation only when unsatisfactory conditions have been corrected.
A. Install blinds in accordance with manufacturer's procedures except as otherwise specified herein.
B. Install intermediate support brackets and extension brackets as needed to prevent deflection in headrail.
C. Install blinds with adequate clearance to permit smooth operation of blinds and any sash operators. Hold blinds 11/44-inch clear from each side of window opening on inside mount unless other clearance is indicated.
D. Set tilt and lift controls. Demonstrate blinds to be in smooth, uniform working order.
A. Clean soiled blind surfaces with a mild soap solution. Do not use steam, hot water, bleach or any abrasive or solvent-based cleaners. Do not wash metallic colors.
B. To ensure proper drying, provide adequate ventilation for blinds, remove bottomrail plastic end caps, and tip headrail and bottomrail to drain water.
3.04 HORIZONTAL MINI BLIND SCHEDULE:
Provide blinds at the following locations: (listing of blind locations, different options, types, accessories and colors).